Tag Archives: staysail

What’s been happening?

Once Ariel was in the water, I had a few other tasks to complete. I rewired a secondary bilge pump that had packed it in over the winter due to faulty connections, and I wired quick connectors for the masthead instrument. Additionally, the cabin needed to be cleaned and organized.

Unrelated to Ariel, I wrapped up a mainsail project for an Ericson 29 and bent on Ariel’s new staysail. The new staysail needs a longer pendant at the head to get the tack closer to the drum, but otherwise it looks great. Perhaps I’ll make a main Ariel over winter so she’ll have a new suit of sails for 2016.

Pictures of the Ericson mainsail construction:

The press is of my own design, but it works perfectly – and for a lot less money than one sold specifically for the purpose. I installed six Rutgerson Super Rings without issue.

IMG_7847

This mainsail has three rows of reef points, so there are eight hefty patch assemblies, including the tack and clew.

IMG_7891 IMG_7901 IMG_7907 IMG_7951 IMG_7967 IMG_7972 IMG_7984

 

Ariel’s new staysail. I actually constructed this staysail last season, but for one reason or another never got it bent on. It is constructed of 8oz Dacron since it is our heavy-weather sail once Ariel is double reefed on the main. As you can see in the picture, the tack is too far away from the drum – not that it really matters, it’s purely aesthetic. (If Ariel were going to sea, I’d actually prefer the tack to be as high as it is so that the sail wouldn’t be as likely to catch water.) If I have the energy, I’ll bring the sail home and sew a longer pendant.

IMG_7948

 

This and That

It’s hard to believe July is nearing its end (why, oh why, do you have to go so fast summer?!) I’ve been keeping myself busy with a few projects here and there. A month ago I said goodbye to my trusty Sailrite LSZ-1 sewing machine and hello to a new long-arm industrial ziz-zag machine, as well as a dedicated heavy-duty straight-stitch machine. The new long-arm has already completed two projects: a 7oz jib for an Ericson 29 and an 8oz staysail for Ariel. Working with the new machine has been a significant improvement over the LSZ-1 in terms of underarm space and needle penetration. The only time it struggled was while sewing the webbing in the thick corner assemblies during the final stages, and I think the issue had more to do with presser foot lift than cloth thickness, which approached 100 oz in some places.  Here are a few detail pics of Ariel’s staysail construction:

IMG_3603 Screen Shot 2014-07-22 at 8.22.53 AM

Pictures of the staysail flying will have to wait till my parents return from their cruising. (Yes, I know, too bad the staysail wasn’t done before they left).

My trusty Sailrite LSZ-1. We made dodgers, sails, biminis, and performed scores of sail repairs together.

My trusty Sailrite LSZ-1. We made dodgers, sails, biminis, and performed scores of sail repairs together. It’s hard to believe just how much I was able to do with this little workhorse. Oh, and the timing was still perfect when I sold it.

Most recently, I’ve been working on a main and jib for an ’88 Hobie Holder MKII that I picked up a few years ago. Once those sails are done, the Hobie will be for sale to offset the cost of my new machine.

We got in a short sailing trip up the coast before I started an intensive language course. We made it as far north as Grand Haven, then returned home for the Fourth. (Pics to follow).

All in all, it’s been a fairly productive summer. No major trips for the boys and me, but my parents (and their fur babies, as they call the dogs) are having a fun time working their way north. Who knows, maybe Carrie, the boys and I will drive north and relieve my parents of the return trip south. We shall see.

Powered by WordPress | Designed by: diet | Thanks to lasik, online colleges and seo