I completed this job a couple years ago, but the old WordPress site was compromised and the content deleted.
Ariel came to us with a Nexus Multi that provided wind, depth, and speed information. We lost the anemometer in a summer storm when the wind was blowing a steady 35kts and gusting to 50kts. Then the depth transducer started providing intermittent readings (if I’m remembering correctly). Furthermore, the old instruments were taking up prime backrest real estate on the aft end of the cabin, so it was time for a change.
After removing the old instrument panel, a piece of black acrylic covering two large holes in the cabin, I cleaned the area with solvent before beveling the edges in preparation for new fiberglass. I laid in a few layers of biaxial cloth patches, faired the surface, then coated it with successive layers of gelcoat pigmented to match the surrounding area.
Once the gelcoat had cured, I wet sanded with progressively finer grits before finally compounding, polishing, and waxing the area.
Then it was on to drilling new holes to mount the new instruments. I decided to mount the new instruments on a piece of starboard so I wouldn’t have to cut (and then cover) the interior teak panel. The instruments are bolted to the starboard, and the starboard is attached to the cabin with six machine screws that thread into holes tapped in the fiberglass and sealed in a bed of 4200.