Project: Updated instruments

I completed this job a couple years ago, but the old WordPress site was compromised and the content deleted.

Ariel came to us with a Nexus Multi that provided wind, depth, and speed information.  We lost the anemometer in a summer storm when the wind was blowing a steady 35kts and gusting to 50kts.  Then the depth transducer started providing intermittent readings (if I’m remembering correctly).  Furthermore, the old instruments were taking up prime backrest real estate on the aft end of the cabin, so it was time for a change.

After removing the old instrument panel, a piece of black acrylic covering two large holes in the cabin, I cleaned the area with solvent before beveling the edges in preparation for new fiberglass.  I laid in a few layers of biaxial cloth patches, faired the surface, then coated it with successive layers of gelcoat pigmented to match the surrounding area.

 

Holes filled and faired, ready for gelcoat.

The back side of the old holes.

Gelcoat sanded and polished. Ready for new instruments.

Once the gelcoat had cured, I wet sanded with progressively finer grits before finally compounding, polishing, and waxing the area.

Then it was on to drilling new holes to mount the new instruments.  I decided to mount the new instruments on a piece of starboard so I wouldn’t have to cut (and then cover) the interior teak panel.  The instruments are bolted to the starboard, and the starboard is attached to the cabin with six machine screws that thread into holes tapped in the fiberglass and sealed in a bed of 4200.

 

Old and New: Old holes filled and gel coated; New instruments installed.

3 Responses to Project: Updated instruments

  1. Wow, you did a beautiful job. Cleared a perfectly lean-back-here area, and your new array of instruments look fantastic. Factory-install-perfect. We’ve got a port in the same cabin wall, which I like very much, so I’m working on pillows to buffer the port imprints you get while sitting there. 🙂

    On a non-boat-subject, I’d be interesting in the story of your previous site getting compromised, as I’m in the midst of porting a web site to wordpress, and our daughter just finished moving and rebuilding hers on WP too.

    • admin says:

      Thanks, Belinda. That was my first foray into gelcoat repair. It’s not perfect, but live and learn.

      I have two theories about what happened with my old WordPress site: 1) I forgot to enter randomly generated security keys as part of the setup process, or 2) my choice of an old, outdated theme led to security issues (most likely). I have only the vaguest understanding of how to set these things up, so what went wrong is a mystery, but I know that the site got hacked and redirected people to some Russian site. I could have salvaged some of the data had I been more determined, but I preferred to start over with a newer, more stable theme.

  2. […] same instrument displays that created the gelcoat work described in another post also necessitated below-the-waterline modifications. The new Raymarine depth and speed transducers […]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Powered by WordPress | Designed by: diet | Thanks to lasik, online colleges and seo